Aims and objectives
The central aim of the Ear Playing Project (EPP) approach is to give pupils a relevant, accessible and enjoyable skill, which they may not otherwise come across, and which they can continue to build on for the rest of their lives if they so wish; and to give teachers some simple strategies for teaching ear playing and other aural work, which they may find helpful and interesting.
The objectives are to:
- show pupils some basic steps involved in ear playing, based on popular musicians' learning practices;
- enhance pupils' enjoyment of music-making and learning;
- connect aural skills to a range of music, including drawing on pupils' existing tastes and knowledge;
- give simple strategies to instrumental teachers, who may or may not be familiar with ear playing or informal learning themselves;
- support preparation for aural and practical musicianship tests in grade exams at any level, and in any style of music.